Ward’s Weekly Family Update
November 9, 2018
Dear Ward Families,
World Kindness Day is on Tuesday. We will begin our day at school with Family meetings and then come together as a whole school for our Community meeting at which we will focus on gratitude. What better day to do it then on World Kindness Day! It is important to instill the value of kindness every day. Coming together as a school community around kindness and gratitude on Tuesday and throughout the year demonstrates our communal commitment to developing thoughtful, kind, respectful, and compassionate children.
What intentional acts of kindness might your family engage in? I look forward to connecting with your children about this in the days ahead.
Happy Diwali to all who celebrated!
Have a wonderful long weekend ahead,
Ward Community Connections:
The next Ward Community Connections meeting will be on Thursday, November 15 at 7:30pm in the Ward Library.
We plan to decide on our specific goals for this year. Please join us to discuss the actions we can take this year to build a stronger, more inclusive community for all Ward students and families.
Please RSVP to Tara Cunningham and Angela Brooks at email@example.com
2018 Newton Family Conference
Please consider participating in this unique community opportunity to be held on Saturday, December 1st from 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. at Newton North High School. The goal of the Newton Family Conference is to partner with you as we strive to make our school community welcoming and inclusive for all students and families.
Conference participants will choose from workshops on a variety of topics including:
- Courageous Conversations on Race
- Stereotype Threat
- Being a White Ally to Families of Color
- Talking to White Secondary Students about Race
- Talking to White Elementary School Children about Race
- Talking to Your Children about Race (for families with children of color)
- Asian American Students and Mental Health
- Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain
- Affinity Group for Families of Color
Detailed descriptions and a sign up link will be emailed by Friday, November 9th. Please RSVP at: https://2018familyconference.eventbrite.com.
To facilitate your participation, limited childcare, provided by Newton classroom aides and high school students, will be available for children in grades K-5.
I hope you will consider attending what is sure to be an excellent conference.
Scholastic Book Fair
The book fair is coming to Ward School! Thanks to our excellent parent coordinators, we can look forward to another successful event.
Twitter: Did you know that you can follow Ward School on Twitter? This is a great tool to learn about what is happening at Ward. Follow us: @ward_elementary
- Monday, November 12 - Veterans Day observed, No School
- Thursday, November 15- Ward Community Connections Meeting; 7:30pm-8:30pm at Ward library
- Monday, November 19 - Ward Harvest Fest; 2:15pm
- Wednesday, November 21 - Early Dismissal, 12:00pm
- November 22 & 23 - Thanksgiving Break, No School
- November 30 - School Picture Retake Day
- Wednesday, December 5 - EARLY RELEASE (12:30pm Dismissal)
- December 7- First Friday Walk and Roll to Ward
- December 24 through January 1- December Recess
- Wednesday, January 2- School Resumes
Friday, January 4- First Friday Walk and Roll to School
- CAPP Parent Meeting; 8:35am at Ward After School Room
- Monday, January 21 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day- No School